Everyone’s hair is different, but there are three main types of hair ethnicity.
Understanding your ethnicity regarding your hair can help you take better care of it, as hair types have different textures and shapes based on genetics.
If you want to best care for your specific hair type, you can read on to learn more.
Types of hair ethnicity
As mentioned, there are three types of hair ethnicity: African, Asian and Caucasian. Of course, there are many more ethnicities than just these three, but when discussing hair, these are the three main types, and they require slightly different care.
Despite the differences in the extremes of Graying hair And all other aspects, the causes of graying hair do not vary much between hair races.
The sections below will discuss the differences between these ethnic hair types, including aspects such as genetic hair loss, Hair follicle shapeGrowth rate and density of hair.
African hair Has a distinct look, usually with tight curls and folds that can grow out rather than down. The spiral structure of the hair results in thicker hair but also slows down the rate of hair growth.
African hair has the slowest growth rate, with only 0.9 centimeters each month. But it has medium hair density and is less prone to hair thinning as people age.
The hair associated with this ethnic group is usually curly, but the pattern of curls and the extent of tightening can be different.
Follow our hair care tips for best results.
- Wash infrequently: It is best to wash African hair only two to four times a month, as too frequent washing can dry out the hair and strip it of its natural oils.
- Always state: Make sure you condition your hair every time you wash it to avoid dry or brittle hair texture. Focus on the ends, but you can also condition your roots.
- Use hot oil: A monthly or bi-weekly hot oil treatment can do wonders to help afro hair stay hydrated and maintain elasticity. You can do hot oil treatments at home or have them done at a salon.
Caucasian hair, also called European hair, has medium density and usually a gently round follicle. Caucasian hair follicles vary, so the texture of Caucasian hair can be different.
Most people have straight hair, but it can also be wavy or curly. It depends on the shape of the follicle, which can be oval or round.
The growth rate of this type of hair is 1.2 centimeters per month, and Caucasian hair is denser than Asian And Afro hair, meaning it is the hair with the highest density among all ethnic hair types.
Now we will list some hair tips for Caucasian hair.
- Shampoo regularly: The smoother your hair, the more oil Build. Caucasian hair needs regular shampooing Avoid oily hair.
- Status wise: Because of the high density of Caucasian hair, over-conditioning can make it limp and greasy. Unless you have curly Caucasian hair, only give the ends of your hair, not the roots.
- Use the right brush: To prevent breakage and reduce frizz, people with straight hair should use wild paddle brushes or a fine tooth comb. The high density can easily cause snarling and tangles, so brush often and gently.
Asian hair grows the fastest, at a rate of 1.4 centimeters per month (source). It often has a round hair follicle, making it more even and straight.
This hair ethnic group has the lowest density, giving it a lightweight feel. People with Asian hair are more likely to experience hair loss or thinning hair as they age.
Check out these hair tips if you want to give your hair the best care.
- Avoid heat: Because Asian hair has the lowest density, it can be damaged by heat very easily. When blow drying, use a cool air setting and avoid using curlers and straighteners if possible.
- Apply coconut oil: Applying coconut oil to Asian hair once every two weeks can help the hair stay strong and prevent breakage or weight loss. It will also maintain healthy shine and soft hair texture.
- Limit products: You don’t want to use too many products on Asian hair, as it can become limp, heavy, and lose its natural shine. Try to stick to one or two hair products at most.
While it’s easy to fall for fads or be tempted by the hottest new hair product, you need to take care of your specific hair type.
Knowing the different types of ethnic hair can help you identify yours so you can take care of your hair properly and avoid damage.