Hair toners remove undertones in bleached hair to achieve the desired hair color. The process of using toner after whitening is simple but must be done correctly for best results.
Bleaching your hair is a great way to achieve a lighter shade, but it often leaves Yellow or brass undertones. A hair toner can solve the problem. Applying a toner after whitening can neutralize the unwanted colors.
In this article, we’ll take you through a step-by-step guide on how to apply hair toner after bleaching to achieve the perfect shade you want.
How to apply hair toner after bleaching
Mix the toner with the developer according to the instructions in the package. Wear disposable gloves and use the applicator to apply the toner to the hair on a clean, damp hairstarting with the lower parts.
Allow hair to process for 20-45 minutes before rinsing with warm water. Follow with a moisturizing or purple conditioner, and wash and style your hair as desired.
Below are the detailed steps for applying Hair toner on bleached hair.
- After the bleaching process is complete, shampoo your hair to get rid of excess bleach. However, don’t let your hair down just yet.
- Pat your hair with a soft towel to get rid of excess water. Do not dry the hair completely. Instead, keep it moist. A little moisture allows uniform distribution of the toner. However, you don’t want the hair to be too wet, as the toner will drip onto your skin and clothes.
- Wear plastic or latex gloves. Most toners stain the hands and nails, and it can take several days for the stains to clear up. You may want to wear an old t-shirt or apron to protect your clothes from stains.
- Mix the toner with the developer. Follow the instructions detailed on the product packaging. Most manufacturers recommend mixing one part toner with two parts developer. The amount to mix depends on the length of your hair, whether you are sculpting all the hair strands or just the ends, and the volume of your hair. If you have long and thick hair, mix the entire bottle of toner. Half of the bottle may be enough for shorter hair or ends only.
- Divide the hair into 3-5 sections and apply the toner mixture. Apply the toner one section at a time, starting from the bottom. Use an applicator brush to apply the toner from root to tip. Apply a generous amount to each section and make sure the hair strands are fully covered. Apply toner to the hair and move on to the next section until you have applied the toner to the entire head. If you want to tone the highlights or edges, apply the toner to the appropriate parts.
- If you have leftover toner mixture, squeeze it in your hands and apply it to the hair, massaging it into the hair strands.
- Leave the toner on the hair for 20-45 minutes. The appropriate length of time to give the hair a process depends on the degree of undertone and How much do you want to brighten it up?. Do not leave the toner on the hair for too long, as it may damage or lighten the bleached hair color too much.
- Rinse the toner thoroughly. Run lukewarm water on the hair wash off the toner. Do not wash bleached hair in hot water. The heat causes the hair cuticles to open, resulting in the color being washed out. Also, do not wash off the toner with shampoo, as it may interfere with the final color of the hair. After a good rinse, apply a moisturizing conditioner and then rinse.
- Style your hair as you wish. You can continue to straighten the hair by blow drying or flat ironing. It is recommended to use a heat protectant when straightening bleached and toned hair to prevent it from being damaged.
Tips for applying hair toner after bleaching hair
Here are some tips for applying hair toner to help you achieve better results.
- Apply the toner immediately after bleaching the hair. Although you can tone your hair at any stage after bleaching, it is best to tone it immediately after bleaching – after washing off the bleach. Gwen immediately removes the undertones and prevents the hair from changing its color even more.
- You may need to tint your bleached hair more than once to achieve the desired hair color. You can do another toning cycle after a few days to remove any remaining undertones. For example, if you want to achieve a silver blonde color, your hair may turn greenish or yellowish after the first few toning cycles before it eventually lightens to silver blonde.
- Once you have achieved the desired hair color, reapply the toner after a month to maintain the color. Alternatively, use a milder toner such as a purple or blue shampoo/conditioner in subsequent washes.
- Use an ammonia-based toner for blonde hair. This is the most effective toner for blonde hair compared to demi-toners. However, expert stylists recommend waiting a few days after bleaching your hair before applying an ammonia-based toner, as it damages your hair. Carefully follow the manufacturer’s mixing instructions. Typically, one part ammonia-based toner is mixed with 20 parts developer.
- It is better to have a hairdresser apply the toner to your hair, especially for the first cycle. In most cases, the first cycle is done immediately after the whitening session. While the process of applying toner isn’t complicated, applying bleach is, and you may want to have both procedures done by an expert. The hairstylist will also be able to determine the The best toner For use depending on the hair color and degree of undertone.
How to care for bleached and tinted hair
wash your hair with sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfate-free shampoo prevents the toner from fading too soon, resulting in undertones.
You are authorized to use Purple shampoo To even out the hair without lightening it too much. Use the purple shampoo only once a week.
Do not leave it on your hair for more than 10 minutes, as it can leave your hair looking dull. Follow your wash cycle with a moisturizing conditioner to keep your hair moisturized.
Apply hair gloss to your hair once a month. The hair gloss helps to keep the nails closed, ensuring that the color does not fade too quickly. It also gives your hair a shiny finish.
Wash your hair with clean water and apply conditioner before entering pool. The clean water saturates the hair strands and minimizes the amount of chlorinated water your hair absorbs. After swimming, wash your hair with sulfate-free shampoo.
Applying a hair toner after bleaching ensures that you achieve the desired hair color. Unless you are using an ammonia-based toner, apply the hair toner immediately after bleaching – after shampooing the bleach but before applying conditioner. Leave the toner on the hair for 20-45 minutes to process before washing it off.
You may need to apply several cycles of toner over the next few weeks to achieve the desired hair color. Even when you achieve this, it is essential to use a blue or purple shampoo every week or two or reapply the toner after a month, to maintain the bleached hair color for longer.